HOW TO GET INTO A SPLIT
- Start with one leg front and one leg back.
- Wear socks on a floor that will allow your feet to slide easily.
- Slide down, spreading both legs so that you can rest your weight in your hands by putting them on either side of you on the floor.
- If you can keep your back leg straight, tuck your toe under or put it against a wall, in order to hold it in place and begin to slide the front leg forward.
- Continue reaching through the back of the heel of the back leg as you slide down.
- Depending on how tight you are, you may need to drop/bend the back knee to rest some of the weight on it. (Put something soft under the knee cap).
- Either way, slide your front leg out little by little.
- In between each slide, stop, straighten the front knee, hold it there and then flex the foot.
- As you move forward with the front leg, your back leg should straighten little by little - that is, if it is not already straight.
- Once you're almost there, untuck your back toes and let the top of the foot slide along the floor as you inch your way down.
- At the very end, when you can't go any farther, lift your chest.
- Switch legs and do the other side.
Repeat every day or every other day.